Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Old School Video Games by Troy Hoover

Soda Popinski is getting ready for round 2, and he's pissed! I loved Punch Out as a kid, and still love it to this day. Still some of the best video game music ever produced, the fight song gets stuck in my head all the time. I've been trying to force myself to put more black into my drawings instead of leaving the line work completely open like I usually do. I like inks with lots of solid black areas, but I don't ink that way myself, really frustrating.

2 comments:

  1. Blacks flatten... always go with a much much darker hue...try to eliminate all black from a composition. trust me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree with that if I were taking a painterly approach, but I really like the comic book style, of illustration that I've been trying to do. Line art that can work as black and white or with color. Successful use of black can really make a piece look awesome in my opinion. One guy that seems to get it right all the time is Mignola, couple examples http://imgs.abduzeedo.com/files/articles/mike_mignola/10.jpg

      http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3sve5Ic3H1rvj0nzo1_1280.jpg

      Delete